Friday, October 9, 2009

Coffee Cake Recipe

I found this recipe on someones blog but I can't find the link anymore or I would certainly give them credit and leave a comment on how wonderful this cake is. I made it last night and as John knows I rarely follow all the directions (which drives him crazy). I'll give you the real recipe and then I'll add my alterations below.

Coffee Cake

1/2 cup butter, softened
8 oz cream cheese
1 tsp. almond flavoring
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 3/4 cup blueberries tossed in 1 T flour and 2 T sugar

Lemon Glaze:
2 cups powdered sugar
2 T lemon juice
2 T heavy cream
1 T softened butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine butter, cream cheese, almond and sugar; beat until fluffy. Add eggs and then flour, baking powder and salt. Then fold in blueberries. Bake in a well-greased bundt pan for 35-40 minutes. While it cools, combine ingredients for glaze and stir until smooth. Drizzle over pound cake and enjoy.

Okay I didn't use blueberries I used apples to the same amount and tossed with the flour/sugar mixture. I didn't make the glaze since I don't really like the sweet frosting and I'm not really a lemon fan. It was fabulous without the glaze.

After last night and tonight eating half of this cake I realize it taste much like a cream cheese danish and I love cream cheese danishes. I love just about anything with cream cheese and then when you add almond flavoring.... ummmm yeah that's the bomb. It's suppose to be a crappy weekend so go bake this with whatever fruit you have in the house or even without fruit would be good too.,and then sit in front of the fire and eat the whole pan so I don't feel so bad.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

OMG- just made it - tried it- loved it!!! I used apples and put a crumble topping on it. FAB U LOUS!!! thanks for sharing the recipe.

L

Deb said...

A recipe of ingredients is merely a suggestion. It's the only way to cook,if you dare to.