Monday, June 18, 2007

Poppy infection

This is my poppy infection. I have a problem with poppies re-seeding themselves everywhere. They are bright red and pink and beautiful but every year there are more and more plants that come up. I have pulled three 5 gallon buckets out of here already and you can't even tell. I was ready to pull them all out till I was standing in the grocery store line one day and someone says to me... "your in the garden tour this year right??" " I can't wait to come over and see all those poppies you grow" Okay now how can I pull them all up after that?? So they are still growing, bugging me everyday and I try to thin them out so they don't bury everything in their path, including the birdbath... someday I'll come home from work and the poppies will have swallowed the birdbath, chair and fence all in one day.

Here is a picture of the peony I got from Starla last year. There is a long story that goes with this flower and I'll try to type it out for you before bed.

So when John and I first moved here I hated gardening, flowers and anything about them. I had a million peony plants here so John would just mow them over to get rid of them. My mom had a fit that we were trying to kill them so she came over to dig them all up. She had a car full of plants and was grinning from ear to ear and so was I.

Well 24 years later I decide.... I would like a peony plant in my garden and I think I finally like them. So I buy a red peony on our annual sisters garden shopping trip. I week later Starla brings me two of her peony plants and we laugh about the story and hope Mom isn't turning over in her grave (Starla cracked me up when she said Mom liked exercise so it was okay).

That week I'm at work telling a couple of girls during lunch the story of how Mom came to rescue them and then 24 years later the same plants are back in my yard (since Starla got them from Mom...). That night I have to go out for dinner with customers so I don't leave work till late and there is a peony on my windshield of the truck. I find it odd that we just talked about this during lunch so I think one of the girls from break has left me a reminder of my story. I call John and ask if he left me a flower.... he is a little upset that someone is leaving me flowers and it was not him. I bring the flower home with me and put it on my dining room table, like a trophy, kinda like a sign from heaven that Mom says it's okay Connie. The next day I ask the girls at work who left the flower.... no-one! I come home from work and John says (he's still upset) a guy called for you tonight, it's probably the same guy who's leaving you flowers!! He can't keep a straight face so I ask... what is that all about? He says a guy he works with (we're going to call him John, since that's his name) asked my John if I got my flower? John says.... why do you know about the flower on Connie's truck? He says I'm not sure why but I was cleaning up the flowers by my house and taking them to the compost at the city shop and seen Connie's truck in the parking lot at work and decided to swing in and give her a flower. He says he has no idea why he did that but something was just telling him that is what he should do. Now I know this was a sign from mom since she was always persistent and had a way of making people listen to her. I love my peony plants now even more than before.

With that story I hope someday you will all have a messenger boy like John, he has no idea what his mission was but it meant a lot to me.

5 comments:

Natalie said...

Hi Connie! This is Lynn's friend, Natalie...I love looking at all the pictures of your garden! Your flowers are absolutely beautiful :) I hope some day that Brandon and I can come visit Jesse and Lynn and also get to see your gardens!!

Lynn said...

Natalie - you can come any time!! You are always welcome! And it will only be a couple hour drive to my Mom's garden. Then you can see it in real life!! :) Every year it seems to get bigger and bigger... pretty soon Dad won't have to mow lawn. :) Which I don't think he will like because he is a lawn freek... if there is such a thing.

Connie said...

Natalie,

Thank you very much, Come on over anytime and bring that beautiful little girl with you.

Connie

The Rau's said...

Connie, I can't believe you want to dig up those poppy's. I love them, and if you are getting rid of them I am going to take some from you!

I laughed out loud at "we'll call him john since that's his name"!!!!

Just to let everyone know....I have driven by the Hemmer's and I have seen the finished Garden Shed. Very cool. She better hurry up and post a picture.

Anonymous said...

Hey Girlfriend I love that story ever time I hear it! And I would love to take some of those peonies off your hand but my wonderful husband would propbaly just (cover your eyes) "Round Up" them- yes I said Round Up- he kills everything with that crap except the weeds...LOL