Friday, July 31, 2009

Garage Sales are the best

I didn't realize how well I liked finding deals until this summer and even more fun is envisioning what it could be with a new coat of paint or give it a new use besides what it's designed for. I thought I'd show you a few finds that made my heart skip a beat.

Here is a yucky gold mirror and two vases that tug on my heartstrings and beg for fresh flowers.

Now here's the mirror that I seen as a fun apple green accent for the living room. Also remember the large round mirror that I used as a coffee table for awhile, it's still in the same finish but moving it to a new area gives it new life. I am considering painting it but so far I like it brown and rugged. Check it out here as a coffee table.




Here it is closer so you can see the detail in the frame, of course I had to rough up the new paint treatment, that's just what I do.


Now here's my finds from today. I took Shan and the kids out of town for a doctor appointment and very close to the clinic were tons of.... yeap you guessed it, garage sale signs. I had a whimper in my voice and told Shan we were going after the appointment. Her suggestion was for me and El to go while her and Garrett were at the clinic for an hour and a half appointment..... super "can you jump out as I roll past the door?" I got a jacket and purse to match my house decor, every girl needs clothes to match her house. Check it out here.

Then I was looking for a box to hold my make up on my make up stand, I wanted something with a cover so it wouldn't get dusty and I also wanted it to be pretty. After a coat of paint, a fun design or words and a little re-do on the inside this twenty-five cent jewelry box will be great. Then El found a bring pink one that will work great at two upcoming weddings we have and it was also a quarter.



Then I found a old tool tray that was full of spiderwebs and had small little compartments that needed to find a new home in my garden or maybe this fall move into the livingroom, after he gets a fresh coat of paint to hold magazines, candles, jars, beads, flowers.... hummm yeap and it was only $1 and it said Earl on the side of it. The little old lady told me "I hope it holds your tools just like it did my husbands".... ahhhh yeah, that's right it will.

A chair for 1 dollar, I see these in magazines all painted with fun colors all the time.... MINE!!

Then the item that made me pee my pants, I was late for picking up Shan and El was begging me not to go to this one but I was right there and it would only take me a second. There it was right at the opening of the tent.... a clay fire chimney. OMG and the price was only $50, do you know how much these are new? I never deal at garage sales, I just pay the price they want but I thought what the heck lets try a deal.

Me - "I'll give you $30 for the fireplace"
Man - "I'll have to ask the boss"
Man - "Hey, wanna take 30 for the fireplace?"

Boss - "Ummmmmm"
Man - "Do you want to get rid of it"
Boss - "Fine"
Me - {peeing my pants} "I'll get the truck"

Here are my last 3 finds, and Shan didn't even care that I was 15 minutes late. I love deals and I'll be sure to update you with the finished projects.



2 comments:

Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

I seriously never find such cute things when I garage sale. I think I must hit the wrong ones... any tips on what to look for before you stop and waste your time getting out of the car? :)

Anonymous said...

What awesome finds! I LOVE the color you painted the mirror.
And WTG dealing for the firepit! I get to nervous to deal but I may just have to now :)